Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fanfarlo Music Video: Harold T. Wilkins


Within the past few months, Fanfarlo has become one of the many bands I've been obsessing over. So when they came to LA and I didn't plan ahead of time enough to get on the list or buy tickets, I was pretty bummed when their show with Freelance Whales (another band you'll hear me talking about a lot) was completely sold out.

Their album, Reservoir, initially served as a filler for the melodramatic pop orchestrations Arcade Fire has been stingy with since 2007's Neon Bible, but the more I listened to it I realized that there is a quirkiness and detailed essence to Fanfarlo's sound that sets them apart. Melodies are more accessible and although a UK band, Simon Balthazar's Swedish undertones peek out in his vocals reminding me why they've gained the credibility overseas.

In this new video for "Harold T. Wilkins" (also known as "Harold T. Wilkins or How To Wait For A Very Long TIme") the band pays tribute to the Sci-Fi fiction writer by telegraphing motions to each other in the forest. Direction by Alma Har'el (who directed Beirut's famous "Elephant Gun" video) is also fitting since there are hints of Beirut-like pockets heard in their songwriting. Enjoy the video, watch the old video for it if you wish, and please grab an mp3 of "I'm A Pilot" if you don't already have it. I'm begging you.

[via Stereogum]

Old video:


Mp3: Fanfarlo - I'm A Pilot



You can read more about Fanfarlo in the BeatCrave Fav series.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment