Monday, December 21, 2009

Top 50 Songs of 2009: 20 - 11


Okay, second to last list for my Top 50 Songs of 2009! Hope you had time to listen to numbers 50 - 41, 40 - 31, and 30 - 21. There was good stuff in those installments but the great stuff is what's up coming up in this post!

Think about it - we're up to the top 20 now! Also, keep in mind that these are my favorite songs of 2009 based on my opinions on musicality. Not everyone will agree with these ranking or choices, but I'm hoping that everyone will love at least a few songs if not all of these.

Songs 20 - 11 all ready for you to stream and download... after the jump!


I have to admit that I didn't enjoy MSTRKRFT's Fist of God right away as much as I thought I did. It took some time for me to warm up to it. (Come on. They're going to feature Ghostface Killah without really featuring his talents?) However, I realized there are some gems on this album like this infectious track with a great chorus from John Legend.


19. Mp3: Matt and Kim - Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare

One of my favorite dance punk duos put out a great album on the same day we inaugurated our new president. I couldn't have been more happier with that fact alone, but the new album had so many great songs like this one -  it's no wonder they blew up this year. (MTV anyone?) 


18. Mp3: Black Moth Super Rainbow - Twin Of Myself

Now there are artists who use the vocoder in the most annoying way possible, and there are artists like Black Moth Super Rainbow who use the vocoder correctly! This Pittsburgh band gave me one of the best songs to chill out to with this psychedlic pop song just loaded with analog electronica elements. 


17. Mp3: Miike Snow - Animal

No, it's not Mike Jones. It's Miike Snow for the year of 2009. Coming out of nowhere, Swedish songwriting/producion duo Bloodshy & Avant teamed up with American singer-songwriter Andrew Wyatt and gave us one of the most catchy indie pop albums of the year.


16. Mp3: Zaza - Sooner or Later

What is there not to love about this band? Zaza's sound is suspenseful as it gets while it manages to sound gorgeous at the same time. If you're a BeatCrave reader, you would know how great this band already is. 


15. Mp3: The Happy Hollows - Faces

One of the most talented and upcoming bands in Los Angeles is The Happy Hollows. There is no doubt about it. After releasing their long-awaited full-length album, Spells, the trio took everyone by storm by having a great Spaceland residency, earning a spot in my top 20 Albums list, and recently landing a gig in a national commercial for Samsung. Need I say more?


14. Mp3: Freelance Whales - The Great Estates

If you like Avi Buffalo and The Postal Service, Brooklyn's Freelance Whales is perfect for you. Gorgeous melodies swell with glockenspiel in their album, Weathervanes - which also has a bad-ass album cover! 


13. Mp3: Cold Cave - Life Magazine

I've seen Cold Cave live once and it was amazing, but that could have been my second time if I didn't choose food over their time slot during FYF Fest. (I'm still mad at myself for that.) Some say they may sound a bit too much like Depeche Mode on certain songs with Wesley Eisold's gothic touch on synth pop, but this song in particular breaks that label.


12. Mp3: Fanfarlo - I'm A Pilot

Honestly, I started listening to Fanfarlo because everyone was saying they were the new Arcade Fire. There is a similarity because of the heavy melodramatic orchestrations that are, of course, unconventional but I learned that this London-based band has quite a bit that sets them apart. Fanfarlo has a lighter sound in their orchestrations and you can hear pockets of Balthasar's Swedish influence. Although different from Arcade Fire, Fanfarlo still put out a great album!


11. Mp3: The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Come Saturday 

The Pains of Being Pure At Heart sound like the best summer you've ever had. I will always have a soft spot for this band who perfectly blends boy-girl pop melodies and distortion. Say hello to the new boy-girl and American version of The Smiths. 



So there's only one more installment left!  Again, you can individually download songs by clicking on the song titles or you can download all ten at once by going here.

Check back tomorrow for numbers 10 - 1!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment