Friday, December 18, 2009

Top 50 Songs of 2009: 50 - 41


As I previously mentioned, 2009 has been such a great year in music. If you want proof, just check out my Top 40 albums of 2009. That list could have easily been 50!

So! I've decided to share my 50 favorite songs of 2009 with you. This list also could have been much longer, but I only want you to hear the cream of the crop.

Starting with today's post, I will be sharing numbers, 50 - 41. The entire list will be spread out among five days, so make sure you keep checking back for the next ten until you get to the number one song!

Here we go...


50. Mp3: Kid Sister - Right Hand Hi 

Kid Sister's album was only recently released in November, but this song gets me pumped up like no other. I'd like to roll with her and the whole Amanda Blank, A-Trak and Spank Rock crew someday.


49. Mp3: Pearl Harbor - Luv Goon 

This Los Angeles-based band is going to make it huge someday - someday soon. Members include sisters Piper and Skyler with Cody on bass and Cole from Haunted Graffiti. Along with groups like Best Coast, they write the perfect pop-surf songs.


48. Mp3: Mellowdrone - Elephant 

Mellowdrone's return with their album, Angry Bear, was not disappointing. Although it didn't make my Top 40 Albums of 2009 list, this song definitely makes the cut for this list. 


47.  Mp3: Saint Motel - Dear Dictator

If you've ever gone to a Saint Motel show, you know that it can get a little crazy and you also know that people religiously shout along to the lyrics of this song.


46.  Mp3: Meaghan Smith - Here Comes Your Man (Pixies cover) 

Although not an original song, it's possibly the cutest rendition I've ever heard of it. I had the chance to see Meaghan Smith in person twice during a MusExpo conference two years ago and she's as adorable as she sounds. This song was a perfect addition to the (500) Days of Summer soundtrack.


45.  Mp3: Surfer Blood - Swim

These boys with baby faces know how to nonchalantly rock people's faces off. It says a lot it if you can open up for a band like Japandroids. Their full-length is due out on January 19, and their popularity is just going to skyrocket after that. I guarantee it.


44.  Mp3: Sondre Lerche - Good Luck 

This Swedish guy with the bluest of eyes gets me every time with his guitar strumming, quirky lyrics, and butter smooth voice. Although I didn't hate his punk phase on Phantom Punch, I was very pleased to hear his latest album, Heartbreak Radio, return to the sound from his Faces Down days.


43. Mp3: St. Vincent - Actor Out of Work 

Oh, Annie Clark. What can't this woman do? Not only is she one of the most successful females at making juxtaposition sound accessible, but I will also never be able to get over this divine voice of hers.


42.  Mp3: Raphael Saadiq - Sometimes

For anyone who's been a fan of this soul mastermind since his days of Tony! Toni! Toné!, Raphael Saadiq's latest album, The Way I See It, was a great solo comeback. After four years songwriting and producing for other artists, it was nice to see what he could do with a fourth studio album.


41. Mp3: Memory Tapes - Stop Talking  

Memory Tapes came right before Neon Indian and Washed Out broke out onto the scene and this project of Dayve Hawk (under a moniker that seems to be a mash up of two former ones: Memory Cassette and Weird Tapes), unleashed an incredible full length titled Seeking Magic in September.



That's only the first out of five batches of songs I'll be providing as part of my Top 50 Songs of 2009. You can individually download tracks by clicking on the song titles or download all ten at once by going here.

Check back tomorrow for numbers, 40 - 31!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment