Friday, April 16, 2010

Hot Chip: She Wolf (Shakira cover)

Although I'm completely jealous of her body and the way she works it on stage, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Shakira. I'm almost certain "Underneath Your Clothes" put me off of the Columbian singer for good. Besides that hit, most of her songs have been mediocre in pop terms, and when I first heard "She Wolf," I almost hated it.

What I don't hate at all is Hot Chip's cover of the song. Not only are they a prominent electronica band who deserves the praise, but they do an incredibly good job on covers. (For example: Their cover of Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing.) The intro in Shakira's version is a bit awkward for me and but it is more tolerable than the chorus. (Don't even get me started on her "howling" in the recording.) With Hot Chip, they immediately pull my attention in with the first beat they pump out. Unfortunately, they insert some howling as well.

Take a listen to their cover below. I've also included Shakira's version which pales in comparison.

Mp3: Hot Chip - She Wolf (Shakira cover)



Mp3: Shakira - She Wolf

Share

2 comments:

  1. shakira in english is a fucking disaster. but in spanish her music is much better. granted her first album still lives in my heart. haha. the spanish one btw. hahahaha.


    thanks for sharing this hot chip cover sera i absolutely love it!! oh hot chip, i feel like they can do no wrong. even if their last video with the alien and laser beams was kinda creepy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I loved that video. I've watched it a few times and I laugh so hard every time.

    ReplyDelete