Monday, April 12, 2010

Robotanists: Exiled State of Mind (Jay-Z and Alicia Keys cover)

Now as much as I love Hall and Oates, I'm not going to follow a Hall and Oates cover band around. Cover bands aren't my cup of tea but I do love it when my favorite bands put out magnificent covers for a side project. See, side projects are supposed to be side projects and most of them are just for fun. However, if you're The Bird and The Bee or Robotanists, cover albums come off as genius.

Robotanists made my Top 50 Songs of 2009 with their song, "Wait A Minute Here," and they've recently released their Shapes and Variations album which includes covers of seven diverse tracks. You've got everyone from INXS to Lykke Li to Joe Jackson and the best part is that every track is completely breathtaking. As I've previously mentioned before, Robotanists have been featured on BeatCrave many times for a good reason. They are one of the few bands in LA who create down-tempo music that has the same integrity as a hardcore rock song.

Their cover of Jay-Z and Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind" has been completely rewritten except for the melody and it's a perfect listen on any LA day. Also, check out their smooth rendition of Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" here.  (Robotanists translation: "Are You Really Going Out With Her?")
Share

1 comment: